Like everywhere on the Côte, the vine grows intensively in Gevrey-Chambertin. The religious orders related to the abbeys of Bèze, Cluny or the chapter of Langres, structure the vineyard.Le Clos de Béze, endowment to the monks of the abbey of Béze in 630, is considered the dean of the closed Burgundy.
In 1280, the abbot of Cluny, Yves de Chazan, lord of the place, built a fortified house (which will become a castle around 1528), symbolizing the new power of Cluny to house his farmers as well as harvests grain and wine.The Cluny Abbey will own the castle until the Revolution. The footprint of Cluny Abbey is so strong on Gevrey-Chambertin that the Cistercian presence is small.
In 1728, Claude Jobert, a wine merchant of the court, acquired a large part of the Clos de Bèze and 60 works of Chambertin. He added the name of the vintage to his surname, Jobert de Chambertin. The Jobert hotel in Chambertin still exists in the village, rue du Chambertin.